Swimming With Bulls: Shark Diving In Fiji
Seeking The Company Of Sharks
As an adrenaline junkie, my tolerance level these days is high. Luckily Fiji delivered the goods. They have a Shark Reef Marine Reserve located off the coast of the island of Beqa, where you can go swimming with up to 8 species of shark.
To help finance shark research and compensate local villagers for their lost fishing grounds, Beqa Adventure Divers offers scuba diving trips into the marine reserve’s shark-infested waters.
They let you get face-to-face with these underwater killers.
Killers of fish that is.
Because shark attacks on humans around the world are exceedingly rare — despite popular belief to the contrary.
Shark Attack Odds
Let’s look at some examples. How likely is a shark attack in the United States? Odds are greater that one of these will happen to you first:
- You will die from a dog attack.
- You will die from a lightning strike.
- You will get killed by bees or wasps.
- You will be executed for a crime.
- You will be bitten by a human.
- You will die falling down in your home.
- Dick Cheney will shoot you on a hunting trip.
So stop digging those stupid things. They’re dangerous!