Learning To SCUBA Dive On The Island Of Utila
The island of Utila in Honduras is one of the cheapest places in the world to get your PADI diving certification. Here’s how I did it.
Many travelers backpackers learn to SCUBA dive in Utila. It’s smaller and cheaper to visit than it’s bigger next door neighbor, the island of Roatán. Because of it’s popularity, there are many dive shops on Utila, and it can be hard to choose one.
That’s why my buddy Richard and I teamed up to check out a bunch of different Utila dive shops and find the best deal for an Open Water Diving Course. This way we could cover more ground.
Choosing A Dive Shop
After interviewing staff at a few different places, we decided on Parrots Dive Center. This is the criteria we used for choosing a dive shop:
- Are the employees energetic friendly?
- Is the instructor experienced?
- How many people will be in a class?
- How many instructors are there per class?
- Are there additional “fun” dives included?
- Is accommodation included? How many nights?
- How nice is the accommodation?
- What’s the quality of the equipment?
- What time is class in the morning?